We’ve put together some information below that we think will help prepare you for your child's experience overseas. For more detailed health and safety information, please visit the Risk Management section on the Advisor Resources section of our website.

Tips for Parents of Students Studying Abroad

Know Your Student’s Program

  • Be informed and involved in your student’s decision to enroll in a particular program.
  • Obtain and carefully evaluate CIS Abroad program materials, as well as related health, safety, and security measures.
  • CIS Abroad has a 24-hour emergency contact number and we recommend that you have CISabroad contact information easily accessible in case of emergency.

Talk With Them About Health and Safety

  • Discuss with your son/daughter any travel plans and activities that may be independent of the study abroad program.
  • Bring up critical safety and behavior issues, insurance needs, and emergency procedures related to living abroad.
  • Keep in touch with your son/daughter while he/she is overseas.
  • Contact us with any questions you have regarding CIS Abroad’s insurance, safety measures, or other issues if your child cannot answer them using the materials provided to them.

Keep Contact Information Handy

  • Make sure your son/daughter has provided you a copy of the emergency contact card we’ve given him or her, and go over this with him or her to make sure it is completely filled out.
  • Provide your son/daughter with all your contact information, including office and home phone numbers, e-mail address, along with the contact information for a neighbor, close relative, and/or good friend that will be able to reach you in case of emergency.

Stay Informed

  • Keep informed about what is happening in the country your child is studying abroad in.
  • Visit the US Department of State for specific information pertaining to an individual country and general information about travel and safety.

Be Prepared

  • Make sure you have a valid passport of your own, in case you need to travel to your child’s host country. (Please keep in mind that if something happens to your student while he/she is abroad and you decide you need to go overseas, you cannot do this without a passport.)
  • Make sure you have a copy of your student’s passport.
  • Have a copy of your student’s emergency contact card.